On Monday, 6 November, the Dutch maritime sector once again showed that renewal and innovation are the lifeblood of the industry. At the Maritime Awards Gala in Rotterdam, five winners each received their awards, with feasibility, innovation, sustainability, (maritime) safety and social contribution being the main criteria.
The winners of the Maritime Awards were:
- Maritime Talent Award: Kalea Holkema, who investigated wave damping possibilities to apply in a slot in a floating structure, such as the Pioneering Spirit, the world’s largest offshore construction ship.
- Maritime Achievement Award: Merchant Shipping Database (Databank Koopvaardij). The purpose of this database is to raise social awareness about Dutch wartime history and especially the role of seafarers during wartime merchant shipping.
- Maritime Security Award: Pim van de Koppel, who conducted research on the deployment of weapon system PHAROS-DART, which defends naval vessels against threats such as anti-ship missiles at very close range.
- Maritime Innovation Award: GustoMSC with the world’s largest telescopic offshore heavy lift crane.
- Ship of the Year Award: The Canopée, a dual-powered open top RoRo vessel with wind-assisted ship propulsion built by Neptune Shipyards.
Please click the link for separate articles on the winners as well as videos about them.
Below you will find a photo report of the Gala. All pictures by SWZ|Maritime/G.J. de Boer.