Classification society Bureau Veritas has awarded an approval in principle to the “Trade Wings 2500”. This innovative container ship with a capacity of 2500 TEU combines wind-assisted propulsion with six Oceanwings with LNG-electric propulsion with pods.

The 2500 TEU container vessel was designed by VPLP Design (France), Alwena Shipping (France), SDARI (China) and AYRO (France). With an overall length of 197 metres and a breadth of 32 metres, the vessel offers a deadweight of 32,500 metric tonnes.

Retractable wingsails

The wingsails are installed on a vertical sliding mechanism to retract them partially while the vessel is in port, thus minimising the impact on cargo operations. The LNG storage tank is based on the GTT’ Mark III containment system and the LNG power plant is designed with pure gas four-stroke gen sets only. This architecture is a flexible platform offering possible upgrade to decarbonated fuels in the future, such as ammonia or hydrogen.

After reviewing the key drawings, Bureau Veritas Marine & Offshore granted an approval in principle to the Trade Wings 2500 basic design on 12 May.

‘Wind-assisted propulsion is a high-potential solution that can contribute to the long-term decarbonisation of the marine industry,’ says Alex Gregg-Smith, senior vice-president Bureau Veritas for North Asia. ‘We have just released new wind propulsion system rules – and this innovative design, approved in principle by BV, including a sliding mechanism, demonstrates the feasibility of wind-assisted propulsion on board container ships with deck space limitations. Benefitting from a coverless hatch and LNG electric pod propulsion, the design provides both operational flexibility, improved efficiency and reduced carbon emissions, complying with, or exceeding, regulatory requirements.’

Also read: Wind assisted ship propulsion puts the sail back into sailing

35 per cent CO2 savings

Suitable to shortsea shipping operations or feedering in Europe, Central America, the Caribbean Islands and China, the Trade Wings 2500 can also operate on transatlantic trades. The design minimises time for port operations, as manoeuvrability is increased with the pods, and the hatch coverless design further speeds up cargo operations.

On a typical transatlantic route of 4000 Nm, the Trade Wings 2500 is said to save 35 per cent CO2-equivalent emissions on average compared to a conventional design with a two-stroke engine, single shaft and without wingsails, at the same speed. Out of these savings, the Oceanwings account for 57 per cent, the optimised LNG thermal propulsion delivers the remaining 43 per cent savings.

Also read: Approval in Principle for Canopee’s Oceanwings wind propulsion system