Dutch yacht builder Royal Huisman and superyacht designer Malcolm McKeon have revealed their plans to build what will be both the world’s largest sloop and the world’s largest aluminium sailing yacht, the Apex 850. Above its sleek and powerful 85-metre hull, the sailing yacht features a towering 107-metre air-draft rig.
McKeon came up with a minimalist, radical design with an all-glass superstructure, encompassing some 200 m2 of guest cockpit and a luxurious saloon. Apex 850 is fully resolved in terms of design, naval architecture and engineering. Technical challenges have been identified and addressed; potential for refinement explored and incorporated. There remains extensive scope for an owner (which has not yet been found) to incorporate their own ideas.
‘Two of the world’s ten largest sailing yachts, Athena and Sea Eagle II, are Royal Huisman builds and Apex 850 would make a fitting third, easily becoming the largest member of this elite circle,’ says Royal Huisman CEO Jan Timmerman. ‘Every Royal Huisman yacht benefits from the research, innovations and challenges of our previous builds, ensuring this would be the finest yet.’
Leading-edge diesel electric propulsion and energy generation/management technologies are deployed to optimise energy efficiency and minimise environmental impact. Propulsion is via twin propellers, capable of generating energy under sail as well as drawing upon it under motor.
Ship’s energy demands are met by load-following generators and advanced battery bank reserves, all managed through a Smart energy management system optimising fuel efficiency while reliably meeting diverse loads from sailing and hotel systems. Stored energy is capable of meeting hotel services in Silent Mode overnight, substantially mitigating noise and exhaust pollution in pristine anchorages. The battery banks can also hoist sails for a silent departure.
- Length overall: 85 m / 279 ft
- Length waterline: 79 m / 259 ft
- Beam: 15 m / 49 ft
- Draft: 8.5 m – 5.0 m / 28 ft – 16 ft
- Owners / guests accommodation: 10 – 12 in 5 suites
- Crew accommodation: 14 in 10 cabins
- Naval architecture: Malcolm McKeon Yacht Design
- Interior: Owners’ preference
- Builder: Royal Huisman
- Construction: Aluminium
- Classification: Lloyd’s + REG Large Yacht Code
- Rig and sail handling: Carbon mast, boom, rigging and integrated sailing system by Rondal
- Sail area: 3200 m² / 34,444 ft2 (upwind) – 4700 m2 / 50,590 ft2 (downwind)
- Air draft: 107 m / 351 ft