Spaansen will convert container vessel Gerd into Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger Yed Prior. This required a new, custom bridge on board, supplied by Alphatron Marine, in which all instruments are optimised for navigation and dredging.
Alphatron designed the custom AlphaBridge together with the ship’s captain. Two tug boat consoles were adapted to make it suitable for a gravel hopper dredger. In addition to the bridge, Alphatron will also supply technical service to the ship and crew in the future.
The Gerd arrived in Harlingen for the conversion project in November 2018. The vessel is to be delivered as Yed Prior this spring.
The conversion project also includes, among others, the following alterations:
- The hold at the front of the ship has been cleared and fitted with three new decks.
- The main engine and Scania generators have been overhauled.
- Bijlsma shipyard in Warten supplies about thirty sections for the hopper that are to be welded in place.
- A new front engine room will be fitted.
- A deck crane (Senneboge, type 875E 18K) will be placed for which a pedestal and jib will also be installed.
- New pipes and electric wiring.