Royal Huisman has launched the 58.5-metre motoryacht Phi at its newbuild facility in Vollenhove, the Netherlands. Developed and constructed below 500 GT, Phi is by far the longest motoryacht in this category, based on current classification rules.
Phi’s naval architecture is by Van Oossanen Naval Architects. Their specially developed Fast Displacement XL hull form allows this yacht to be long and sleek, yet still remain under the 500 GT mark. Its interior design and styling are defined by the London-based studio Lawson Robb, whereas Cor D. Rover created the general concept, exterior design and interior layout.
Within the superyacht sector Phi’s fine and fuel-efficient hull lines, together with its very low profile, are considered to be a great challenge to engineer and build. A challenge Royal Huisman was happy to take on.
‘Just take a look at our two current motoryacht projects: project 403, Phi, and project 406, a unique 52-metre sportfish yacht that will become the largest of its kind in the world,’ says Royal Huisman CEO Jan Timmerman. ‘The individual aspirations and challenges of each of these projects were seen to be well outside the comfort zone by some yards. With the benefit of expert advice, each of these owners brought their highly distinctive individual projects to Royal Huisman, where fresh opportunities for creative problem-solving and innovation were enthusiastically welcomed.’
The company’s experience in aluminium construction is vital to creating such yachts as it makes it possible to maximise performance and efficiency through compact, lightweight and high strength engineering. In addition, Huisman’s ability to design and install complex operational systems in restricted volume hull areas further increases efficiency.
Phi is scheduled for delivery later this year and will be supported by a matching 36-metre shadow vessel (also designed by the same designers and constructed at Alia Yachts).
- Shipyard project number: Royal Huisman project 403
- Type: “Fast Displacement XL by Van Oossanen“ motoryacht
- General concept, exterior design & interior layout: Cor D. Rover
- Interior design: Lawson Robb
- Naval architecture: Van Oossanen Naval Architects
- Project management / owner’s representative: Guy Booth
- Builder: Royal Huisman (2021)
- Length overall: 58.5 metres / 192ft
- Accommodation: 2 owners, 10 guests and 11 crew
- Speed: Approximately 22 knots
- Construction: Aluminium
- Classification: American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) – MCA
- Gross tonnage: Below 500 GT